Any pet owner knows that pets aren’t cheap. From the endless supply of pet food to paying expensive veterinarian bills, owning a pet can add up quickly. Unfortunately, vet costs, especially when it comes to paying for an emergency, can seemingly come out of nowhere and leave you unable to barely afford your pet’s vet bills. If you don’t have pet insurance, vet costs can be expensive; however, there are several ways to find cheap vets in your area to save big, without compromising on your pet’s health. Discover how you can find cheap veterinarians near you below so your pet can live a healthy, happy life.
What’s the Best Way to Find Affordable Vets?
Researching affordable vets in your area is your best bet for finding cheap veterinarians in your area.
Simply go to Google and type in “Cheap vets in MY TOWN” and start looking through the search result.
Always be sure to compare prices among local vet clinics in your area, and check whether any clinics are running specials or seasonal discounts.
Local animal welfare organizations, rescue groups, and shelters typically offer affordable vet care and other low-cost services like vaccinations, spaying & neutering, and more.
Also, going to a veterinary school is another great option for affordable vet care.
What National Chains/Clinics Offer Cheap Vet Services?
There are several “national chain” pet retailers that offer cheap vet services that are worth considering.
Some national vet clinics that offer cheaper vet services than many typical veterinary clinic include:
How to Find Low Cost Clinics?
There are several ways to find low cost clinics. Here are some tips and tricks to find low cost vet care:
Research: Research various local vet clinics and compare prices.
Vet School: Vet schools often offer various vet care services at cheaper pricing compared to taking your pet to a vet clinic.
Nationwide Assistance: Various financial assistance organizations for pet owners exist. If you meet certain requirements, you may qualify for financial assistance. Some vet care assistance programs include:
I’ll add to this list as I discover more low cost resources.
What Do Vets Do If You Don’t Have Money?
If you don’t have the money to fund your vet bill, talk with your vet about ways/ financial assistance programs that can help fund the bill.
The last thing you want to be worrying about is how to fund your vet bill when your beloved pet is in need.
Your vet may be able to connect you with state-specific financial assistance programs or other organizations like RedRover’s Urgent Care Grants that help pet owners who cannot afford pet care.
Depending on the severity and how costly the vet bill is (i.e. if your pet needs an intensive emergency surgery), you may need to consider even getting a loan or dipping into your credit to offset the hefty vet bill.
Does SPCA Treat Animals for Free?
Because the SPCA’s main objective is to help the prevention of animal cruelty, the SPCA is not and should not be considered a “free ticket” to receive free pet care.
However, if you are looking for help to learn how to get affordable vet care, consider calling your local SPCA.
They may be able to connect you with local affordable vet services so your pet can receive the care they need.
Best Preventative Measures to Avoid the Vet Altogether?
Inevitably, the best way to avoid high vet bills is by avoiding the vet altogether.
Some top preventive measures to avoid bringing your pet to the vet include:
– Stay up-to-date on vaccinations and parasite prevention.
– Pet-proof your home to prevent any emergency accidents like your pet ingesting any toxic materials.
– Constantly check your pet for ticks and remove any ticks immediately if you find them on your pet.
– Feed your pet high-quality food to ensure they maintain a healthy weight.
– Keep up with your pet’s hygiene (ie. brushing their teeth, grooming, etc.)
How Do I Save Money on Pet Food?
When it comes to buying pet food it can get really expensive quickly.
Here are some stores that are by far your best, and cheapest, options.
– Costco – We buy Kirkland brand dog food for our 2 furry friends. Not only is it quite affordable, about $40 for a 40 lb bag, but the ingredients are very similar to the WAY more expensive brands like Iams and Blue Buffalo.
– Tractor Supply Co. – The dog food at TSC is also an affordable option. Especially when you can find a Tractor Supply coupon to save even more.
– Walmart – Shop Walmart for deals up to 20% off the original price on pet food, toys, bedding, and treat.
– Sam’s Club – Once you pay for your annual membership, you’ll easily save 20-30% on dog and cat food.
How Do I Save on Pet Medicine?
Preventative pet meds like flea/tick control, wormer, and heart worm medicine are REALLY expensive.
So much so that many pet owners forgo these important meds and roll the dice that their pet won’t get sick.
But the following options are fairly affordable when buying pet medicine in the future.
– Costco – I always buy our pet medication from Costco.com. I save between 30-40% compared to buying meds directly from the vet.
–PetCareRX.com – I use to use to use PetCareRX all the time before I started buying HeartGuard and Frontline directly from Costco.com.
– Walmart – Visit the Walmart PetRX website and save 30% on your first AutoShip order and 5% after that.
Ask the Reader: Do you know of any other ways to find cheap and affordable veterinarian care for your furry friends? Let me know in the comments.
By Kyle James