“The Office,” based on a similarly popular British comedy of the same name, ended in 2013. A decade later, the show is still as beloved as it has ever been. For proof of its enduring popularity, look no further than TikTok, a platform packed with favorite Office scenes, video memes and fashion inspo. Every year around the Halloween season, TikTok also becomes a goldmine of “The Office” character costume ideas.
With Halloween 2023 on the horizon, we’ve been scrolling through the video-based app, where TikTok creators don’t disappoint when it comes to DIY costumes of Jim and Pam, Kevin, Dwight and many, many more. As these talented TikTokers demonstrate, Dunder Mifflin crew costumes tend to be office-friendly (obviously), total crowd-pleasers and simple to create with items you already have.
Looking for a costume that’s easy, affordable and earns you props from your co-workers when you show up for work on Halloween? For inspiration, check out these terrific TikTok Halloween costumes inspired by “The Office.”
Kevin’s Famous Chili by Dr. Alyssa Hickey
As fans of “The Office” know, Kevin likes to bring his famous chili in at least once a year. He stays up late the night before pressing garlic, dicing whole tomatoes and toasting his own ancho chiles, pulling from a recipe passed down through his family through generations. On one fateful morning in season 5, episode 26, Kevin showed up with a giant pot of his finest chili and proceeded to spill the contents all over the office floor.
Here’s what you need to recreate Alyssa’s Kevin’s famous chili costume:
For the Chili Costume:
- Giant “Pot”: Alyssa wraps a large collapsible laundry bag in tin foil to create a silver “pot,” but you can also purchase a silver laundry bag like this one ($6.78 at Walmart). A real pot lid attached with ribbon can serve as your “hat.”
- Beans: Alyssa adorns a brown shirt with real dried pinto beans and construction paper vegetables. If you prefer, you can start with a T-shirt with beans printed on it ($35 at Beloved) and decorate it with veggies as you please.
For the Kevin Costume:
- Brown Suit: If you have an existing brown suit, that works perfectly. If not, you can hit up the thrift shops or hunt online to find a Kevin-esque suit like this one ($126.80+ at Amazon). Pair the suit with a brown checkered tie ($16.14 at Amazon)
- Oven Mitts: In the famous scene, Kevin wears blue oven mitts like these ($9.99 at Amazon).
- Balding Cap: As the finishing touch, you’ll need a balding cap ($19.38 at Amazon) to emulate Kevin’s signature monk-reminiscent hairstyle.
Halloween Jim and Pam by Sharmie
Has there ever been an on-screen relationship more beloved than Jim and Pam? The office romance between the paper salesman and secretary manages to be swoon-worthy while relatable at the same time and is widely viewed as one of the best TV love stories of all time. To this day, it’s not uncommon for users to describe themselves as “just a Jim looking for his Pam” on dating apps.
Last Halloween, Sharmie, a fashionista in New York City, was Pam to her fiance Jim. The couple dressed up in Jim and Pam’s Halloween costumes from Season 2, Episode 5 when Jim went as “Three-Hole Punch Jim” and Pam went as a classic kitty kat.
Here’s how to recreate Sharmie’s Halloween Jim and Pam costume:
For the Pam Costume:
- Black Dress: Hunt down a black dress ($27.99 at Forever 21) — ideally with a turtleneck and long sleeves, like Sharmie wears.
- Black Tights: These super opaque tights ($11.40+ at Amazon) will do the job nicely.
- Cat Accessories: Next, it’s time to cat-ify yourself by slipping on a pair of black ears and tail ($12.99 at Amazon) and drawing on whiskers and a nose with a black face paint stick ($6.99 at Amazon).
For the Jim Costume:
- Three-Hole Punch: If you are feeling crafty, you can, of course, cut your own three holes from black construction paper yourself. But you can also purchase a Three-Hole Punch Jim kit ($14.79 at Amazon) that includes a black clip-on tie and three adhesive dots.
- White Shirt: If you don’t have a white button-down shirt in your closet, you can definitely find one in a thrift store. And, of course, Amazon has plenty of viable options — like this J.VER Men’s Dress Shirt ($22.99 at Amazon).
- Gray Dress Pants: Same deal with Jim’s pants — look for a pair of grayish pleated ones, like this Amazon Essentials pair ($24.43+ at Amazon).
- Saddlebag: This one is totally optional, but extra points if you can find Jim’s signature brown messenger bag ($32.99 at Amazon), just like Sharmie’s hubby did.
Dwight Schrute Costume by Seerat Saini
Dwight, the idiosyncratic right-hand man to boss Michael Scott, is full of contradictions. He is a beet farmer and a Battlestar Galactica fan. He listens to heavy metal and plays the recorder. He’s a shrewd salesman but somehow manages to fall for every single one of Jim’s pranks.
As one of the greatest characters on “The Office” — and possibly even all of TV — Dwight is all over TikTok in Halloween costume form. One of our favorite TikTok Halloween costumes of Dwight was cooked up by creator Seerat Saini, a Punjabi-American fashion, haircare and beauty influencer based in San Francisco, California. Saini nailed Dwight’s signature outfit, down to his Assistant to the Regional Manager business card and wanted poster from Season 3 Episode 22.
How to recreate Seerat’s Dwight Schrute costume:
- Mustard-Yellow Shirt: Dwight makes distinctive fashion choices, but none so recognizable as his signature mustard yellow shirt. Find one at a thrift store or go online to find a yellow button-down ($31.99 at Amazon).
- Brown Checkered Tie: Pair Dwight’s yellow shirt with a checkered tie, like this one ($16.14 at Amazon).
- Gray Suit: Dwight doesn’t always wear a suit, so you can go in gray pants sans jacket if you prefer. For her costume, Seerat goes for the full-suited-up version of Dwight, wearing a suit and jacket like this one ($79.99 at Amazon).
- Dwight Accessories: To truly bring your Dwight to life, top off your costume with his iconic accessories — like metal frame glasses ($13.99 at Amazon), calculator watch ($21.92 at Amazon) and ID badge ($10.95 at Amazon). Seerat completed her costume by holding up a version of Dwight’s wanted poster, a copy of which you can find online and print out yourself.